Sunday, February 8, 2009

Share Your Gift

Hello Everyone,

Andy here, it’s been awhile since I’ve sat down and written an entry to the blog. I’m going to make an effort to make it a more regular thing.

Since I’m the one writing this entry and not Kippi I wanted to talk about my partner, my wife, my everything. Several years ago Kippi and I attended a program with a photographer named Sam Puc’. Sam (Sandy) is a Portrait Photographer from Colorado. Her program changed how we looked at everything as photographers and individuals. I feel no shame in saying I cried, everyone cried.

Sam talked about the organization she Co-founded “Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep” It’s grown to an international network of hospitals, photographers and other volunteers that work with families that have a child still born, or their baby passes soon after birth due to complications. The images help with the loss and healing process. It’s an opportunity for the family to have baby pictures, a family portrait something to remember their child that was taken too soon.

We received a call from the area coordinator a good friend and fellow photographer. A family had suffered the loss of their baby boy. He was born two weeks prior but never left the hospital due to complications. This was the second NILMDTS session Kip and I have had the honor of being a part of. The truth is I couldn’t imagine being able to even attempt this work if it weren’t for Kippi.

When we arrive at the hospital we are loaded down with lights, stands, cameras and so on. I have to be honest Kippi takes the lead of interacting with the grieving family with words of comfort a hug and ultimately posing the family for the images we are about to create. I look on with amazement. Here grace and gentle strength leave me speechless, inspired and thankful. I am proud of the images we create together. We both feel the importance of the work we do as photographers.

I guess the main point of this particular entry is remember to share your gift. If you are going to leave a footprint make sure it’s something other than a carbon footprint. I have friends that volunteer by cleaning the river bank and walking dogs at the SPCA. I hope we all make an effort and find someone/something who can benefit from your gift.

No comments: